In the world of industrial processes, there’s perhaps nothing as demanding as gasification. Gasification processes involve transforming organic or fossil fuel-based materials into carbon monoxide, hydrogen, and carbon dioxide. This conversion occurs in high-temperature environments with the aid of controlled quantities of oxygen and steam. With the extreme temperatures and conditions involved, the importance of precision in monitoring and control cannot be overemphasised.
As a trusted leader in temperature sensing technology, Thermo Electric Instrumentation has a wealth of expertise in the manufacturing of high-quality temperature sensors. These sensors are not just built to endure, but thrive in the challenging environment of gasification processes, delivering reliability, precision, and durability.
Role of Thermocouples in Gasification
At the heart of temperature measurement in gasification processes are specialised thermocouples, carefully designed and manufactured for the task at hand.
We manufacture a range of thermocouples suitable for a wide spectrum of temperatures encountered in gasification:
- Type K (Chromel – Alumel): Ideal for measuring temperatures from -200 to 1200°C.
- Type N (Nicrosil – Nisil): Reliable for temperature ranges between -200 to 1200°C.
- Type R (Platinum 13% Rhodium – Platinum): Best used in the range of 0 to 1600°C.
- Type S (Platinum 10% Rhodium – Platinum): Suitable for temperatures from 0 to 1600°C.
- Type B (Platinum 30% Rhodium – Platinum 6% Rhodium): Excellent for high-temperature measurements from 0 to 1800°C.
The thermocouples come in two primary constructions, each designed to optimise performance under specific conditions:
- Ceramic Beads Type: These thermocouples are insulated by compacted ceramic beads, delivering excellent performance in very high-temperature environments.
- Mineral Insulated (MI) Cable Type: In these thermocouples, the wires are embedded in highly compressed mineral insulant which offers good thermal conductivity.
Importance of Thermowells in Gasification
Thermowells are protective casings designed to house thermocouples, protecting them from the extreme conditions present in gasification processes. They play a critical role in extending the life of the thermocouples and ensuring the reliability of temperature readings.
Thermowells for gasification are often made from materials such as Ceramic (Ker 710 or 630) Al2O3, SiC (Hexoloy), and Sapphire due to their impressive resistance to high temperatures and corrosive environments.
Depending on the specific application requirements, thermowells can be connected in two ways. These are flanged (per ANSI B16.5 or DIN standards) or screwed. The choice depends on the specific needs of your operation.
Welding Methods for Thermowells
There are two main welding techniques used in the manufacturing process:
- MIG Welding (Metal Inert Gas Welding): A semi-automatic or automatic arc welding process that allows for fast and efficient welding of a variety of materials and thicknesses.
- TIG Welding (Tungsten Inert Gas Welding): A more meticulous process ideal for welding thin sections of stainless steel and other light metals. It offers a high level of precision and control, which is essential for maintaining the integrity of the thermowell.
Comprehensive Testing for Quality Assurance
Thermo Electric Instrumentation takes quality assurance seriously. Understanding that the reliability and performance of temperature sensors are important to the success of your operations, we undertake rigorous testing protocols. Our temperature sensors are subjected to:
- Pressure testing: This test checks the capability of the thermowell to withstand the pressure conditions it will encounter using nitrogen.
- PMI Test of Base Material: Positive Material Identification (PMI) ensures that the thermowell material meets the specified chemical composition.
Each of these tests contributes to the assurance that our temperature sensors will deliver accurate, reliable measurements, even under the harsh operating conditions of gasification processes.
Safe and Secure Packaging and Shipping
To preserve the integrity and accuracy of our high-temperature sensors, we ensure each sensor is individually packed in protective boxes designed to withstand transit conditions. This approach keeps each sensor safe from potential damage, ensuring they are received in perfect condition, ready for installation and operation.
Your Partner in Excellence
Gasification processes are indeed challenging, demanding not just any sensor but the right one for the job. With our range of robust, high-quality temperature sensors and a wealth of industry experience, we are perfectly positioned to help you overcome these challenges.
Thermo Electric Instrumentation does not only design, manufacture and supply temperature sensing products; we partner with major equipment manufacturers in the gasification technology industry, providing the assurance of smooth operations, optimal process control, safety, and high product quality.
Remember, our commitment doesn’t stop at manufacturing. We take quality assurance seriously, implementing rigorous testing protocols to ensure our products meet and exceed industry standards. We believe in going the extra mile for our customers.
So, when it comes to temperature sensors for gasification processes, we’re your trusted partner in achieving efficiency, safety, and quality.